Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Backroads of County Clare

There has been a lot of talk about "pathways", roads, and maps around school in the last few days. People's art projects reflect this, as do the photos uploaded to facebook, and the conversations about getting lost on back roads that are discussed over lunch in the cafeteria.
When I decided to take advantage of a rare hour of sunshine yesterday afternoon, it was hard not to be inspired by the roads and pathways I was following. I embraced the cliche metaphor and reflected on the different paths I have chosen in my own life, and how glad I am that they've led me here. (Although I have to remind myself of this when I'm walking home in the pitch darkness, past haunted houses surrounded by bleating sheep and a sky filled with hail-heavy clouds. Or even on those warm, cozy nights, sitting by the peat fire, reading for school, but unable to concentrate because my American body won't stop craving a Wegman's breakfast sandwich).

I'm not studying pathways, roads, or maps in any sense for my MFA, but I decided to take a break from the heaviness of my own research topic to allow inspiration to flow through a completely different source yesterday.

Here are some of the roads I pass daily. Roads that I have come to take for granted, that lead me to school and home.















No comments:

Post a Comment