Thursday, February 6, 2014

Burren drive

Today I had the opportunity to tag along with one of my professors and our school's RCA exchange student for an afternoon of exploring the Burren. It was a gloriously sunny day, with only a few minutes of misty rain (after the last several weeks, I can't overemphasize enough how miraculous a day like this is). We drove alongside abandoned villages, past stark and mournful ruins that recall Ireland's tragic history, spotted numerous donkeys and a hissing swan, walked over jagged limestone, sticky mud, and eventually lush, emerald moss. We drove through partially flooded, narrow back roads and wisely reversed away from others. We drove past swollen turloughs and angry tides and through the town with the strangely pronounced name, Kilnaboy (said as "killin a boy"). 
As much as I love the quiet and simplicity of life in Ballyvaughan, and as close as we were to Ballyvaughan during this entire excursion, it was so nice, and inspiring to get out and see something that I haven't seen every other day of the semester. Even the things I saw last semester seemed  fresh and exciting in this more somber winter palate. 
Although it's always hard to give up a studio day, I'm so glad to have been included in this outing. 100 percent worth it.


Burned remains of an RIC barracks


we stopped to photograph the turlough, which was at a higher level behind those rock walls than the road itself.


…as you can kind of see.


submerged trees, gorgeous green hills


I'll miss this landscape



Kennis


stark and beautiful


still love the rock walls


speckled donkey




my camera really didn't do this scene justice


driving to Mullaghmore


iconic Irish traffic jam finally witnessed


walking to the view


I thought these trees had a lot of personality


we walked through another Irish enchanted forest.


so peaceful


still



Kennis


finally arrived at our destination. I've never seen anything like this before. 

overall, a beautiful and adventurous afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment